Monday, October 25, 2010

Interlude: Seasons and Reasons

I wanted to debunk the existence of writer's block.

I really do, hence another blog post. And blog about what is an interesting question. Actually, I haven't put much thought into it. But laying bare the current condition of my heart, I am so excited to enter yet another season of my life.

Recently, I got a word from UST grad school that I got accepted to the creative writing MA program. There may also be a major career and address change. I remember praying for these things way way back. My emotional disposition would swing from side to side of the pendulum, where I'd feel hopeful for a bit and hopeless when things do not go as planned. PJ Erpelo couldn't be more right in saying that God will ultimately give us the desires of our hearts His way though, not out own.

Past events made me feel like I was in a season of summer, when faith stretching normally happens (for more info on spiritual seasons check this site). It does feel like spring now, when everything's new and fresh and my prayers are being answered.

But blessings aren't as important as the lessons I was taught while in the season of waiting. We become fickle when we think that tangible blessings are all there is to our walk with God. I learned to hold on to and trust in Him more. I learned that Proverbs 3:5 (my life verse by the way), when applied, embodied and taken seriously entails being still before God, complete surrender, not rationalizing and questioning His will. I learned all the more that He has the final say in our plans.

I look forward to the season of fall, when harvest occurs, and winter, when resting and letting go is required. Every season is a season of prosperity and power and opportunity to grow in love with God.

-0-

A thought about marriage has crossed my mind lately, not that I would like to get to soon. It's just that, many people I know-close friends and the likes-seem to be ready enough to be in a relationship. And I can't seem to get around to it, at least in this season. Ecclesiastes 3:1 says there's a time and season for everything. I can't hide my strong desire for marriage someday but I am happy to be single when I can deal with issues that I need to deal with that I may be the man that I should be for that one woman God has destined me to be with. I am blessed to have parents who model my ideal kind of marriage and family. I am blessed to have a God who wants the best for me.

Here's the thought: Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson did give us a poignant tearjerker flick about what to do before you die. I kind of tweaked the list and made it, "things to do before I settle down." Here's some:

1. Publish a book and win the Children's story category of the Palanca Awards and be one of this country's distinguished contemporary writers/documentarist in the level of Lourd de Veyra, Maria Soliven-Blanco and Howie Severino.
2. Write/work for/in Disney.
3. Tour all or most of Southeast Asia.
4. Climb Mt. Kinabalu in Malaysia.
5. Finish my MA.
6. Climb Mt. Pulag for the second and third time.
7. Relearn Cebuano.
8. Learn to cook European (northern, that is) cuisine.
9. Meet Nick Hornby, Sir Paul Mcartney, Joshua Harris, Elisabeth Elliot, Grant Morrison, Ben Gibbard, Ra Ra Riot and Rush and tell them how huge they are an influence to me.
10. Go solo in Sweden.

No comments:

Post a Comment