Sunday, October 10, 2010

October Tradition (part 1)

Turning 24 recently made me realize that there are so few things that get me really excited. When one embraces adulthood, one finds himself reluctantly thrust into the proverbial rat race. No wonder why so many young professional get tired easily. My loving dad sort of warned me about being jaded as one ages. When I was younger he advised me to go on a trip at least once a year.

Following his advice, I resigned from my first corporate job in 2008, joined a group of mountaineers and climbed Mt. Pulag and traipsed the pebbled beaches of Pagudpod. In 2009, I enjoyed the beaches of Batangas and the breathtaking landscapes of Tagaytay with my dearest friends.

Ever the pattern seeker, I noticed that all these escapades happened in the month of October.

This year, I went on yet another October trip in Cebu and Bohol. From here on, I vow to travel in October of every year, and so I dub this trip 'October Tradition,' now on its third year.

First Stop

Manila holds so much of my stressors-traffic, schedules, work. Twenty-four hours before leaving, I went to UST to submit my gradschool application, went through a job interview and packed. My typical day comprises a hectic day at work and other engagements. So imagine my joy at the fact that in a few hours I would be on a plane to another place.

I did not sleep, literally, as I had to pack and cram every traveling needs into my back pack. After a hearty very late dinner, I rushed to the airport only to find out that my flight via PAL got delayed for an hour. It was okay though as I found myself chatting up foreigners and being entertained by a game of women basketball players.

I sat by the window in the hopes of getting a good view. The plane's wing was in the way, much to my disappointment. So I decided to nap. I woke up with a pack of energy bar and greaseless peanuts on the empty seat before me.

The atmosphere outside Mactan Airport was a little deceiving. By which, I mean it almost has no traces of urbanity in it. Then I took few steps, asked a couple of guards the way to Colon, referred to a cab with a fixed rate of 395php, then it finally hit me that I landed in a city similar to Manila only cleaner. I successfully avoided taking a cab and ended riding a jeep to pier four. I haven't been in Cebu in a long time, estimate 20 years, and I forgot Cebuano the moment I started learning Pangasinense so I somehow felt alienated when being answered in Cebuano by the locals. It's unnerving and exciting at the same time.

But that's the point of adventure.

On Board Supercat

Thankfully, a lady who speaks tagalog quite fairly helped me get to Pier 4 in which the Supercat going to Bohol was docked. I was welcomed by Eka and Arun, with whom I toured the island.

I couldn't help but notice a slew of Asians inside.

Supercat did get us to Bohol on time. The fare was reasonable at 800php round trip (i advise you to take advantage of the promo). While inside, a huge flat screen TV provided entertainment partly eliminating the almost 2-hour boredom. We were also treated to a scenic view of the Island of Cebu and Bohol.

Arrest My Heart, Bohol

Down in the docks of Supercat, our tourguide greeted us with a warm Boholano welcome. Kuya (I forgot his name) was born and raised in Bohol and he pretty much know the history of the province.

As he toured us around historical landmarks in a Toyota Vios, we couldn't help but be amazed at rich the history of the province is .

No comments:

Post a Comment